Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Whirlwind Menu Week

With the girls home every day this past week, we killed time by going food shopping almost every day, which makes menu planning more flexible.  It was also hot, so we grilled every day.
 The meals this week were the following:
Mon: Left over chicken legs in a "5 Ingredient Asian Sauce" I found on the Cooking Light web site. This is because I wanted to use this ingredient I had only used once, this "Sambor Timbor blah blah blah" stuff of which the name I can't remember.  On the side I roasted broccoli for the first time, starting from frozen! Used garlic powder, even easier! Will be doing this again (and I usually never let broccoli pass my lips).
Tues: A real simple "Real Simple" recipe: Grilled Zucchini on White Bread with Fontina and Tapenade.  A Tomato and Hazelnut Salad on the side, which was surprisingly delicious. We now have fresh tomatoes from our garden!
Wed: Grilled Trout with Coriander and Lime from Cooks Illustrated July/August Issue, which turned out good but lackluster in my book. A side of Panzanella salad using tomatoes from our garden.
Thurs:  I turned on the grill for the first time in my life, and I made the best turkey burger recipe I have found since my search began: "Turkey Burgers with Feta and Ricotta" from the Make Ahead Cooks Illustrated Cookbook.  I did make them ahead, and then grilled them MYSELF. We had sides of baked potatoes.
Fri: Our classic Grilled Pork Chops with Fennel. Sides of Panzanella Salad (again - must use tomatoes. A terrible problem! and the fresh bread).
We paired most meals with a chardonnay, of which my favorite was the Sterling Vineyards Chardonnay, 2012 (not the Sterling Napa Chardonnay).  

No comments:

Post a Comment