Friday, October 9, 2015

Silver Palate's Baked Chicken with Apples

When you read as many food blogs as I do, you start to hear about different cult recipes from different cookbooks that "you must try."  This is one that always pops up in the fall as a perpetual favorite of many a home cook. I don't own the Silver Palate Cookbook, but many of the families I babysat for in the 90's had it on their shelf, usually next to The New Basics cookbook, and the updated Joy of Cooking.  I fondly recall many evenings reading through my clients' cookbook collections, and then trying to place them back in the exact empty spot. Anyway, this is my first recipe from The Silver Palate Cookbook, and it fit the season and the mood impeccably.  

Personal Notes:  I used boneless/skinless chicken thighs.  Also, noting that the blogger below failed to note oven temperature, I chose 425 and just watched them cook until I thought they were done. They came out fine.  Further research found that the original recipe called for 350, but then I would have had to wait longer. I served this with cous cous, which I found perfect! I also paired it with valpolicello, my favorite light red, but it would also pair well with a heavier, oak y, chardonnay.

Baked Chicken with Cider and Apples
Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
2 whole chicken chickens,quartered (I used 6 whole bone-in with skin)
2 cups apple cider
1 c flour to coat chicken
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup apple jack (I used a splash of apple cider vinegar)
2 apples, cored, peel-on, and cut into thin slices

The day before, place chicken pieces in a non-reactive shallow container. Pour cider over the chicken. Cover the chicken and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

The next day, remove the chicken from the marinade. Reserve the
marinade. 

Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Coat the
chicken with the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. Place the
coated chicken pieces in a low sided roasting dish. Bake, uncovered, for
40 minutes.

Combine the reserved marinade, brown sugar, apple jack,and the apple slices in a medium bowl. (*Others have brought to a boil in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes) Pour the mixture over the chicken and continue cooking for 25 additional minutes or until the juices run clear. Baste with the pan juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment