Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup

I have always hated broccoli.  "You and George Bush," as my grandmother would say.  My mother, thankfully, never forced me to eat it, as I probably would have vomited from the smell alone.  When co-workers would microwave broccoli in the teacher's "lounge" at school, I had to "step out for a moment."  When I worked at Bertucci's, I would always eat the Rigatoni with Chicken and Broccoli, with no broccoli.  Therefore, I find it surprising that in these past few weeks, broccoli has deemed to pass my lips two times.  

I had been thinking about trying broccoli again (had I tried it before?) for a while.  While scrolling through the endless websites I cruise on a daily basis, I came upon Roasted Broccoli.  The writer proclaimed that it was the best way to eat broccoli, and you didn't even have to thaw the frozen broccoli, just place it on the pan with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and roast away.  I had been converted to asparagus and brussel sprouts with the same recipe. Anyway, I sat on the idea for the time being.  

Then came a night when I needed an emergency side, and I roasted the bag of frozen broccoli to the point of a little char, the way I liked other roasted vegetables. It did not smell heinous. I passed the broccoli through my lips, bit down, and didn't vomit. In fact, it tasted fine. I will just give it fine. My husband was thrilled. He had broccoli for dinner for the first time in five years. 

So, imagine my surprise when I clicked on Smitten Kitchen's blog last week, and saw her recipe for Broccoli and Cheddar Soup, and thought it looked good!  Good enough to make! 

So, we had it last night, and it was fine (especially with bread). The husband thought it was GREAT. And the kids did not let it pass their lips. I am not worried.   

Recipe Notes:  I did not use carrot in my soup, and it tasted fine. I would like to try it with carrot though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment