Thursday, October 22, 2015

Butternut Squash Soup

The first year my husband and I were dating, his building shut the gas off.  The reason for this is all very boring, but it didn't matter. We were young and had no kids, so over the course of three months, we tried every restaurant in the neighborhood. And since it was Fall, the first words out of every server's mouth was, "The soup of the day is Butternut Squash."   I envisioned every restaurant's walk-ins filled floor to ceiling with butternut squash, and it all must be used. A visitor from abroad would think that butternut squash was all Americans ate since it was in everything from ravioli to dessert cakes.

Anyway, we tried a few bowls of the soup that season, and found it unremarkable. Come December, restaurants started touting "Chicken Noodle," or "Beef and Barley."  The gas in my husband's building returned, and we were able to let our sodium levels readjust.

A few years later, we found ourselves stuck in 625 square feet with a newborn, unable to enjoy the brisk Autumn sidewalk dining. But, the farmer's market had thousands of squash. I plopped a Butternut Squash under the stroller.

I don't remember the first recipe I tried, but, the one I use now is better than any restaurant's recipe. And you don't have to peel/dice the squash. Or, you can buy it diced (like I do!).  It involves an apple, and uses butter and cream (though I used half and half), key ingredients for cozy, Fall days.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment