Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Cookbook review: Come on Over: 111 Recipes for the Family that Cooks, Laughs, and Eats Together, Jeff Mauro

 Come on Over: 111 Recipes for the Family that Cooks, Laughs, and Eats Together, Jeff Mauro 

I had never heard of Jeff Mauro, aka, "The Sandwich King" of Chicago. I don't watch television.  I picked up his cookbook in the library, and now I might even want to watch his show on the Food Network.  He is witty and loves his family. And he has great recipes that he has clearly made for his family over and over.  

Mauro has made popular and tested food choices. I cooked Mauro's sloppy joes (The Sloppy Lo, named after his son), meatloaf (United States of Meat Loaf, because meatloaf is wholly American), and turkey burger (The Juiciest Turkey Burgers Ever).  His recipes are created for his large family, so my family of three little girls and two "normal" eating parents always had leftovers, even though all portions were devoured.  His "Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandos" changed our family's schedule because these were the best breakfast my husband had ever frozen and warmed up.  These are permanently on our family's menu now - the biggest compliment I can pay any cookbook author.  

Mauro is also hilarious. His instructions make you want to read every word of the recipe. Example, "Close and cut to admire the colorful and inspiring cross section. Take a bite and quickly forget about cows in general." Also, "Serve with 14 napkins, preferably need a bathtub or garden hose."  I read almost every word of this book as it sat on my worktable for nearly two months, picking it up just to get a quick laugh.  

I want to hang out with Jeff and his family and share a meal, and the book really helps you picture what it would be like. While it might never happen, you can use his great recipes to have your own friends over. They always work!  



No comments:

Post a Comment